Re: [DMM] 回复: DMM API

Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org> Wed, 25 March 2015 23:54 UTC

From: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 01:54:19 +0200
To: Dapeng Liu <maxpassion@gmail.com>
Cc: dmm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DMM] 回复: DMM API

>>> 1. Regarding the definition of “fixed IP address” in the draft:
>>>
>>>   “- Fixed IP Address
>>>    This is what standard Mobile IP provides with a Home Address (HoA).
>>>    The mobile host is configures a HoA from a centrally-located Home
>>>    Network.  Both IP session continuity and IP address reachability are
>>>    provided to the mobile host with the help of a router in the Home
>>>    Network (Home Agent, HA).  This router acts as an anchor for the IP
>>>    address of the mobile host.”
>>>
>>> If this is equal to HoA, then RFC5014 already cover that. We do not need to repeat it here with another name.
>>>

>> This is not equal to "HoA".
>> This is equal to "HoA permanently allocated on a HA in the core network"
>> (as opposed to "HoA temporarily allocated on a HA in the access network")
>>
> The draft says: “This is what standard Mobile IP provides with a Home Address (HoA)...”  If it is not equal to HoA, need clarification in the draft.

Draft says "This is what standard Mobile IP provides with a Home Address (HoA). The mobile host is configures a HoA from a centrally-located Home   Network. "

If this is not clear enough, we can certainly elaborate more on that in the I-D.

>>> 2. Regarding the definition of “sustained IP address” in the draft:
>>>
>>> "- Sustained IP Address
>>>
>>>    This type of IP address provides IP session continuity but not IP
>>>    address reachability.  It is achieved by ensuring that the IP address
>>>    used at the beginning of the session remains usable despite the
>>>    movement of the mobile host.  The IP address may change after the
>>>    termination of the IP session(s), therefore it does not exhibit
>>>    persistence.
>>> "
>>> There is no clear dividing line between fixed IP address and sustained IP address. Whether the IP address is used for reachability is not determined by the IP address itself. For example, even when the MN get a HoA, after it moves to another location of the network, it may decide to release current HoA and get another HoA, in this case the "fixed IP address" becomes a "sustained IP address".
>>>

>> If the IP stack on the host releases the IP address, then of course it's not a "fixed IP address".
>> Please see the definitions of these terms in the I-D.
>>

>>> Further more, the reachability normally is implemented by domain name instead of IP address. For example, we reach “Google” by its domain name, never by it’s server’s IP address.
>>>
>>> Using temporary private IP address we can also achieve the goal of “reachability”. For example, using dynamic DNS, as shown in  http://hsk.oray.com/ , it can  provide reachability even the host get a private IP address.
>>>

>> You had said this before, and I had explained it.
>> Nevertheless, let me recap:
>> You cannot ensure an ongoing IP flow continues w/o interruption if you simply rely on dynamic DNS. Ongoing flows break even if you update the DNS.
>> Furthermore, even if you ignore the ongoing flows, also note that DNS clients have a cache, hence a dynamic DNS update cannot be instantaneously reflected on the hosts.
>> So, you cannot provide full mobility solution by relying on dynamic DNS.
>>

> The point here is “reachability” instead of “mobility”.
> Further more, even mobile IP may lost some packet during handover.

Not sure if this point has any impact on the discussion.

>>> 3. Regarding the definition of “nomadic IP address”:
>>>
>>> “- Nomadic IP Address
>>>    This type of IP address provides neither IP session continuity nor IP
>>>    address reachability.  The IP address is obtained from the serving IP
>>>    gateway and it is not maintained across gateway changes.  In other
>>>    words, the IP address may be released and replaced by a new IP
>>>    address when the IP gateway changes due to the movement of the mobile
>>>    host.”
>>>
>>> Seems this IP address is the IP address that we normally used in most cases. If this is the case, why we need a new name for it?
>>>

>> If you don't name it, how would you refer to it in this context?
> If the justification of naming IP address as “fixed IP” and “ sustained IP” is not valid, then we may not necessary need a new name for normal IP address.

I and the WT#1 believe that justification is valid.
If you believe otherwise, please elaborate.

Alper