Re: [DMM] Comment on SRv6-mobile-userplane

Arashmid Akhavain <arashmid.akhavain@huawei.com> Wed, 18 July 2018 16:12 UTC

From: Arashmid Akhavain <arashmid.akhavain@huawei.com>
To: Uma Chunduri <uma.chunduri@huawei.com>, "Pablo Camarillo (pcamaril)" <pcamaril@cisco.com>
CC: "dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>, "Alberto Rodriguez Natal (natal)" <natal@cisco.com>, "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 16:12:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.95.221]
Subject: Re: [DMM] Comment on SRv6-mobile-userplane

Hi Uma,

Please see my replies inline [Arashmid]

Cheers,
Arashmid

From: Uma Chunduri
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 11:50 AM
To: Arashmid Akhavain <arashmid.akhavain@huawei.com>; Pablo Camarillo (pcamaril) <pcamaril@cisco.com>
Cc: dmm@ietf.org; Alberto Rodriguez Natal (natal) <natal@cisco.com>; spring@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Comment on SRv6-mobile-userplane

Arash,

In-line [Uma]:

--
Uma C.

From: Arashmid Akhavain
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 9:18 AM

Hi Uma,
I am not sure if I understand your concern. In traditional mode, we encode the TEID into a SID. This is the mode that draft bogineni refers to as the simplest form of using SRv6 for the N9 interface.

[Uma]:  2 quick and minor corrections for the above first.

1.      “we encode the TEID into a SID”  ==> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane-02#section-5.1  says “Note that in this mode the TEID is embedded in each SID.” (section 5.1.3 confirms this)

[Arashmid] Embed vs Encode? Is this issue?

2.      Traditional mode as documented ietf-dmm-srv6 applies to both N3 and N9
[Arashmid] Yes, it does, but the focus of draft bogenini is N9

>Only the head nodes know that TEID has been encoded into the SID. Tandem nodes treat the traffic as normal SRv6 traffic. Are you saying that the use of SRv6 in general forces the underlying say MPLS transport to convert to SRv6?

[Uma]:  The problem with removing GTP header and keeping the same in each SRH SIDs make the underlay specific to SRv6.
                 Pablo’s below response says – “The Traditional mode is only offering GTP replacement for specific PDU sessions with complete independence from the transport network.”
            I don’t see the draft text reflects this.

[Arashmid] Today each PDU session gets its own set of TEIDs between eNB and SGW and between SGW and PGW. For example for a UE with both internet access and VoLTE, there are two GTP tunnels between the eNB and the SGW and two other GTP tunnels between the SGW and the PGW. We maintain this in traditional mode.

For example in interworking model when we need to deal with IPv4 GTP tunnels, the SA and DA part of the SID will remain the same, but the TEID will be different. 4 GTP tunnels for the above mentioned UE sessions will produce 4 SIDs which differ by the bits identifying the TEID

Cheers,
Arash