[DMM] 答复: RE: Some comments on draft-chan-dmm-framework-gap-analysis-05.

luo.wen@zte.com.cn Tue, 30 October 2012 09:47 UTC

To: h chan <h.anthony.chan@huawei.com>
From: luo.wen@zte.com.cn
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:47:15 +0800
Cc: "dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>
Subject: [DMM] 答复: RE: Some comments on draft-chan-dmm-framework-gap-analysis-05.

Hi Antony

Thanks for your reply, please see in-line for more comments.

BR
Luowen

h chan <h.anthony.chan@huawei.com>
2012/10/25 05:45

收件人
"luo.wen@zte.com.cn" <luo.wen@zte.com.cn>
抄送
"dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>
主题
RE: [DMM] Some comments on draft-chan-dmm-framework-gap-analysis-05.

Luowen,

Let me first explain what was intended to say, and then make corrections
accordingly.

I think compatibility in the requirement refers to the following:
If one deploys dmm in a network, and the network had an existing
(centralized) mobility management deployment, the existing deployment
should continue to work.

[Luowen] Yes I agree. The existing deployment should continue to work. But
we should identify what is the meaning when one says the  existing
deployment can continue to work. One understanding is that those two
domains (dmm domain and  existing deployment domain such as PMIPv6 domain)
work independently. Another understanding is that mobile node which is
belong to dmm domain can access the network via  the existing deployment
domain ( such as PMIPv6 domain) in a manner of roaming. Or mobile node can
handover from dmm domain to the existing deployment domain ( such as
PMIPv6 domain) seamlessly and vice versa. So maybe we should make it clear
that what is the precise meaning of compatibility.

The abstract functions are used to build up the protocols by adding
functions one step at a time to the network.

[Luowen] Yes.

So, the intention of the framework is as follows:
The MR, LM, LU abstract functions are those of HA. So, it is
straightforward to construct MIPv6 using these functions.
Then some additional functions are added to construct PMIPv6, then some
additional functions are added to construct HMIPv6, etc.

[Luowen] That is true.

So, the configuration and functions in HMIPv6 “under this construction”
already include those for PMIPv6, and that for PMIPv6 “under this
construction” include those of MIPv6 etc.
That means MIPv6 should continue to work in the PMIPv6 construction, and
both PMIPv6 and MIPv6 should work in the HMIPv6 construction.

[Luowen] I am not sure about this. Maybe it depends on the what  is the
precise meaning of compatibility. E.g. I don't see how a PMIPv6 mobile
node can continue to enjoy seamless mobility service when it enters a
MIPv6 (maybe I am wrong.)

One can then continue to construct dynamic mobility management on top of
HMIPv6, and then continue to construct route optimization with dmm on top
of dynamic mobility management. And the above interpretation of
compatibility should apply.

Is that a reasonable approach?

[Luowen] Also, whether it is reasonable or not, may depends on the precise
meaning of compatibility

So, it does not intend to say compatible to each other, and the wording
should be corrected.

[Luowen] Yes, the wording may need be corrected, otherwise it may make
people confused.

The gap analysis on the framework with MR, LM, LU is intended to refer to
that of a mobility solution based on these functions alone.  It has not
added those additional features needed for DMM, so it is too early to say
whether it can meet the rest of the requirements other than those met by
MIPv6. It could have been left blank as you pointed out that N/A is not a
good description.

H Anthony Chan