[dns-privacy] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-07: (with COMMENT)

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 15 March 2016 03:58 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 20:58:59 -0700
Cc: tjw.ietf@gmail.com, dns-privacy@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls@ietf.org, allison.mankin@gmail.com, dprive-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [dns-privacy] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-07: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-07: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls/

COMMENT:

I'm balloting yes, but I do have a few comments/questions:

- 3.1, third paragraph:
This seems to put normative requirements on clients and servers that do
not implement this draft. If that is really needed, then perhaps this
needs to update the appropriate base spec(s)?

- 3.2, last paragraph:
That's a bit of an odd use of SHOULD. I suggest s/SHOULD/can

- 3.3:
This section seems more about DNS over TCP in general. Is it specific to
TLS? Are the 2119 keywords in this section new requirements, or do they
describe existing requirements from 5966/7766? (If the latter, please
consider stating them with descriptive language rather than normative
language.)

- 4 and subsections:
There seems to be a notable absence of a profile that requires server
authentication but does not require pinning. I assume there's a good
reason for that which is obvious to people with stronger TLS and/or DNS
backgrounds than mine. But it might be helpful to say why.

Do (or should) the profiles have anything to say about clear-text
fallback if a client cannot connect to the server's DNS-over-TLS port, or
the TLS handshake fails? I infer that such fallback should not occur with
the pinned profile, but what about the opportunistic profile?