Re: [dns-privacy] draft-mayrhofer-edns0-padding

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Fri, 24 July 2015 03:02 UTC

To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:01:48 +1000
Cc: Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer@nic.at>, "dns-privacy@ietf.org" <dns-privacy@ietf.org>, "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dns-privacy] draft-mayrhofer-edns0-padding

This can be dropped.  EDNS aware clients are required to ignore unknown EDNS options.

   A server MUST use the 'Padding' option in a DNS response (QR=1) only
   when that response correlates to a query that contained the 'Padding'
   option.

For QUERY I would be padding the request out to 400 octets.  This allows for
all legal query names (max question size is 255+2+2 octets), some EDNS options
and the pad option.

Mark