Re: [dnsext] Last Call before IETF meeting: draft-rafiee-intarea-cga-tsig-00.txt

"Rafiee, Hosnieh" <rafiee@hpi.uni-potsdam.de> Mon, 19 November 2012 21:29 UTC

From: "Rafiee, Hosnieh" <rafiee@hpi.uni-potsdam.de>
To: Joshua Shire <jshire@hyduke.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:29:47 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: "Int-area@ietf.org" <Int-area@ietf.org>, "dnsext@ietf.org" <dnsext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Last Call before IETF meeting: draft-rafiee-intarea-cga-tsig-00.txt

Dear Joshua,
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

>Speaking of typos, the modifier is actually 128 bits not 64 as I stated ;).
Yes I understand. It was a mistake. In my implementation I did not make this funny mistake but it seems in writing I did :-)
If I can update my RFC (currently having formatting issue for uploading...) then the new version will hopefully be free of these kinds of mistakes.

>Regarding 4), Check Time Signed, if you look at a widely used standard like Kerberos, it calls for a rough clock sync of 5 minutes. For the purposes of anti-replay prevention (which I believe this step in >your protocol is designed to thwart?) it seems to provide good security without causing too many issues (but you still do get clients with errors popping up from time to time). Lastly regarding 5), >signature, that's fine, you just may want to be specific that RSASSA-PSS (or something else) should be used rather than leaving it up to interpretation or preference, which may cause interoperability >issues. Just a suggestion.
I clarified this in new version.

Maybe somebody can give me a suggestion... I actually wrote a Web application that should aid in formatting RFC (maybe also later useful for others as it will be available public on my website). It works fine and generates a nice txt version with the required tags but when I want to submit this draft I receive meta-data error and it cannot retreive the authors' names. I compared the output of my application with the one that does not have any problem in different formats such as  ASCII, but I could not find any special characters or any problem that cause this failure result.
I look forward to receiving any help I can get to make this application generate a file that is acceptable for automatic process submission. (If I knew what the IETF parser was looking for, I could add it to my application to make it work. But I could not find anything anywhere)

Best,
Hosnieh

Speaking of typos, the modifier is actually 128 bits not 64 as I stated ;).

Regarding 4), Check Time Signed, if you look at a widely used standard like Kerberos, it calls for a rough clock sync of 5 minutes. For the purposes of anti-replay prevention (which I believe this step in your protocol is designed to thwart?) it seems to provide good security without causing too many issues (but you still do get clients with errors popping up from time to time). Lastly regarding 5), signature, that's fine, you just may want to be specific that RSASSA-PSS (or something else) should be used rather than leaving it up to interpretation or preference, which may cause interoperability issues. Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Joshua Shire
Information Systems Manager
Hyduke Energy Services Inc.