Re: [dnsext] RFC 2142 and "organization's top level domain"

Dave CROCKER <dhc2@dcrocker.net> Sat, 11 September 2010 03:17 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:13:02 -0700
From: Dave CROCKER <dhc2@dcrocker.net>
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] RFC 2142 and "organization's top level domain"
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

On 9/10/2010 6:25 PM, Brian Dickson wrote:
>        organization's principal domain name
>
> I think, in some regards, "organization" is itself ambiguous, in two regards.
> One, is that a large entity could have several internal organizations.

Folks,

Thanks for the quick response(s) (counting private email)...

I should have phrased my note as:

      "The apps folks had extensive discussions and explored various
alternatives and converged on a term and I would like to know whether the DNS
community sees a serious problem with using the term "organization's principal
domain name".

Since I failed to do that, I wound up inviting you folks to re-explore the topic
more generally, including ground the apps group had already covered.  So I
should go into some detail about the apps discussion:

1. The requirement is for a term that can be widely used, and particularly by
regular (non-geek) users.  This imposes a significant burden in making the term
be relatively natural and friendly for everyday use by everyday people.

2. The apps discussion explored "registered" and "delegated" before getting to
"principal".  About the first two, it was decided that the use of a DNS term of
art in a way that might not be sufficiently accurate or precise would be
ill-advised.  All nodes are delegated; hence that word is not sufficiently
precise.  "Registered" almost won, but finally caused some discomfort.  So the
preference was for a term that does not carry DNS technical baggage.

3. Organization is a nicely generic term, although the fact of sub-organizations
got mentioned in the earlier discussion, too. However it's not clear that that
really causes any problems.  For whatever organization is being referenced --
parent, subsidiary, whatever -- there can be a domain name that it uses that is
a "root" for that organization.  (Again note that we can't use "root" as a
choice here.)

4. "Primary" almost won but it tends to suggest that there are competing,
parallel choices and that's not intended.  Principal can indeed suggest
competing alternatives, but it also can simply refer to a core term, without
there needing to be alternatives. The distinction between having only one
principal domain name and having multiple is covered by prefacing with 'a' when
there are multiple and 'the' when there is one.

We can, of course, wander over the solution space if folks really want to, but
again, what I'm most interested in is whether the DNS community sees fundamental
problems with the phrase.

Thanks!

d/
--