RE: draft-eastlake-2606bis-00.txt: Suggestions for modifications

Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com> Thu, 03 November 2005 04:05 UTC

From: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: draft-eastlake-2606bis-00.txt: Suggestions for modifications
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:58:13 -0500
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who commented on this draft.

RFC 2606 documents three things: The rational for reserving certain names at the top and second level. The agreement of IANA to reserve 4 TLDs. And the policy of IANA to reserve the second level label "example" in .com, .net, and .org.

At the time of the issuance of RFC 2606, IANA was under the direction of the IAB and was a part of the IETF and was Jon Postel, who was also RFC editor.

The idea of 2606bis is to update RFC 2606. The policy function of IANA for most of domain name registration and registry selection is now performed by ICANN. So I obtained the closest ICANN policy statement I could to the IANA 2nd level label policy, spliced it in, and produced draft 2606bis. I should probably have included an Informational reference to RFC 2860 (and possibly RFC 2826) in the draft and plan to do so in the next version which I won't be able to post until after the IETF meeting in Vancouver, which I will be attending.

I have read the entire thread so far with this subject line. Hope people don't mind that I'm just replying to the first message. Anyway, there seems to be considerable desire to include something about prohibition of numeric TLDs. At this time, I would think that all the IETF can say is that such TLDs SHOULD be reserved, since it is ICANN's call.

(Also, a quick note on ccTLDs. This draft says nothing about them. It certainly doesn't say that anything is reserved at lower levels in them. Nor does it state that they are not reserved. It does not state that ICANN has the authority to regulate ccTLDs or their contents, nor does it say ICANN does not have that authority. All it says is that, by contract, ICANN imposes restrictions on 'many TLDs' and provides a pointer to a list of TLDs which do not include any ccTLDs. I was really trying to avoid controversy. But I've already gotten troll mail anyway.)

See also below at @@@