Re: Call for consensus: Re: Reviving RSA/SHA256

Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz> Wed, 26 September 2007 15:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:37:04 -0400
To: Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT chair <ogud@ogud.com>
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Subject: Re: Call for consensus: Re: Reviving RSA/SHA256
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

At 10:01 -0400 9/24/07, Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT
  chair wrote:
>Dear Colleagues
>
>So far I have counted in support:
>Jelte Jansen (ed.), Olaf Kolkman, Scott Rose, Roy Arends, John Dickinson.

I think the work should be (re)written up.  I
looked at the retired draft and would suggest
that in somewhere it suggest that if a validator
is able to make the choice between hashes, it
chooses the strongest one.  (What if the strong
fails and the weak fails? - discuss...)

Given that the group is alleged to be moribund,
this work could be just individual except for the
face that the WG bounced this before it died.
Not sure what the ethical answer is here - and
what does it mean for the WG to now give it a
go-ahead?

>Mike StJohns wants to use this as an opportunity to rationalize
>how new hashes are added to existing Signature Algorithms.
>Mike also raises the issue of truncated SHA-256 hashes.

I'd like to see that written up before passing
judgement - the hundred flowers sense.

>Other posters did not express support or argue against adopting
>the work, are there others that have an opinion on the adoption of
>this work please speak up before Oct 1'st 2007.

From what I gather from crypto experts, crypto
has a short half-life.  There are going to be
needs to update crypto stuff well into the
future.  So, do we keep a  WG on life support for
this?  Or do we just say "go ahead and build, use
the IANA registry to record the definitions" as
the protocol "framework" is done?  Is the right
answer from the WG's grave to "go forth and
multiply, tell IANA, we've taken care of all the
other rules already?"  Or does the WG have to
process and stamp all of this?

BTW, what's up with the RFC2929bis?