Re: [dnsext] Trying to reading RFC 4035 as a requirements document

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Tue, 04 August 2009 06:15 UTC

To: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Trying to reading RFC 4035 as a requirements document
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:03:27 +1000
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

In message <a06240800c69cc735ef53@[10.31.200.165]>, Edward Lewis writes:
> I am trying to boil this document into a list of requirements and
> have run across a "MUST NOT" that I can't parse.
>
> "and MUST NOT perform any of the additional processing described below."

	Below is all the extra DNSSEC specific processing. e.g.
	adding RRSIG's to prove the answer or adding NSEC records
	to prove non-existance.

	Note for George.  RRSIG, DNSKEY, and NSEC RRs are expected
	to be returned with DO being clear.  ANY similarly returns
	them with DO being clear and is entirely consistant with
	them being returned with explict queries.  qmail is just
	broken.

> The "additional processing described below" seems to be missing or
> has been altered in someway to make me wonder what is to be skipped -
> coming from the perspective of already understanding the protocol.
>
> Following the "offending" use of requirement language (in the same
> paragraph) is a comment that DS's "always require" special
> processing, which is a contradiction with the previous MUST NOT.

	Which is a comment about how to locate the DS records to
	be returned.  You still don't add RRSIGs / NSEC records.

> The next point is about handling queries that are ambiguous,
> specifically the QNAME, CLASS, NSEC for names owning an NS set.  This
> situation applies DNSSEC or not.

	No it doesn't.  Prior to DNSSEC answers come from the child
	zone.  Referrals come from the parent zone.  There is no
	ambiguity just mis-implemenations.  With DNSSEC you have
	RRsets (NSEC and RRSIG) which exist in both the child and
	parent zones which are different.  KEY (not DNSKEY) can
	also exist in both the parent and child zone at a zone cut.

> Then there is talk about handling the CD and AD bits in situations
> they are to be ignored.  (Does this mean that without the DNSSEC
> indication in the query, we have to look at these bits? - the old
> double negative conundrum.)
>
> Finally the comment about CNAME synthesis and "server... SHOULD NOT
> generate signatures".  Ignoring a negative requirement - a little
> hard to test.

	Is this better?

  A security aware name server that synthesizes CNAME RRs from DNAME
  RRs, as described in [RFC2672], SHOULD NOT generate signatures
  for the synthesized CNAME RRs despite that being recommended in
  [RFC2672].

	I can't see how this is hard to test.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC