RE: [dhcwg] Re: UTF-8 issues (Re: Open issues in DHCP FQDN, DHCID and DDNS-DHCP Related RFCs)

"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <volz@cisco.com> Mon, 06 February 2006 16:20 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Re: UTF-8 issues (Re: Open issues in DHCP FQDN, DHCID and DDNS-DHCP Related RFCs)
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:12:01 -0500
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: Olaf Kolkman <olaf@nlnetlabs.nl>, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>, Stig Venaas <Stig.Venaas@uninett.no>, "Ólafur Gu>mundsson /DNSEXT co-chair" <ogud@ogud.com>, "Ralph Droms (rdroms)" <rdroms@cisco.com>
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

[ Moderators note: Post was moderated, either because it was posted by
   a non-subscriber, or because it was over 20K.
   With the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss and therefore
   delete relevant posts by non-subscribers.
   Please fix your subscription addresses. ]

I'm confused by what this means in terms of changes to the draft?

This UTF-8 reference is in the following section:

3.3.1.  Deprecated ASCII Encoding

   A substantial population of clients implemented an earlier draft
   version of this specification, which permitted an ASCII encoding of
   the Domain Name field.  Server implementations SHOULD be aware that
   clients which send the Client FQDN option with the "E" bit set to 0
   are using an ASCII encoding of the Domain Name field.  Servers MAY be
   prepared to return an ASCII encoded version of the Domain Name field
   to such clients.  Servers that are not prepared to return an ASCII
   encoded version MUST ignore the Client FQDN option if the "E" bit is
   0.  The use of ASCII encoding in this option SHOULD be considered
   deprecated.

   A DHCP client which used ASCII encoding was permitted to suggest a
   single label if it was not configured with a fully-qualified name.
   Such clients send a single label as a series of ASCII characters in
   the Domain Name field, excluding the "." (dot) character.

   Clients and servers SHOULD follow the character-set recommendations
   of RFC 1034 [2] and RFC 1035 [3].  However, implementers SHOULD also
   be aware that some client software could be using UTF-8 [10]
   character encoding.  This specification does not require any support
   for UTF-8.

This is *DEPRECATED* and all we wanted to point out is that this data is *NOT* just ASCII, although the encoding is called "ASCII encoding".

So, I think we want to drop or replace the LAST paragarph in section 3.3.1 of draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-11.txt. Can folks suggest explicit text? But please remember all we're trying to do is give people a warning that this data is *NOT* necessarily strict ASCII although that it what the encoding was called. Perhaps one solution is to use a different term than "ASCII encoding", although I don't have a suggestion.

This really seems like a whole lot of effort for something that we're trying to get people NOT to use and is there for historical completeness (as it has been implemented since the FQDN option has been in active use for many many years even though there is no RFC).

Actually, I do now have a suggestion:

   Clients and servers SHOULD follow the character-set recommendations
   of RFC 1035 section 2.3.1.  However, implementers SHOULD also
   be aware that some client software may use other character-sets.
   This specification does not require support for any other
   character-sets.

If you don't like this, PLEASE SUGGEST ALTERNATIVE TEXT.

- Bernie