Re: DNS vs. non-DNS Data (was Re: Signature at parent (draft-ietf-dnsop-parent-sig-00.txt))

Tim Seaver <tas@bellsouth.net> Mon, 16 April 2001 18:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:23:40 -0400
From: Tim Seaver <tas@bellsouth.net>
To: randy@psg.com
Subject: Re: DNS vs. non-DNS Data (was Re: Signature at parent (draft-ietf-dnsop-parent-sig-00.txt))
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, narten@raleigh.ibm.com
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

 > > > I.e, the DNS does the things it is designed for quite well.
 > >
 > > opinions on this seem to vary.  and the trend seems to be more
 > > dissatisfaction.  responses are perceived to be slower, though
 > > hardware is faster and bandwidth wider.  it would be helpful
 > > to have actual data.

I'm in the middle of a DNS performance study. Right now, I can
say with confidence that most DNS performance problems from my
perspective in the network/DNS topology come from:

1) Short TTLs on second-level NS records combined with overload of
gTLD servers, leading to caching server retries for delegation data.

2) Short TTLs on popular address records combined with overload of
second-level domain servers, leading to caching server retries for
web host address records.

3) Short TTLs on second-level NS records combined with second-level
servers in a different domain than the name being queried combined
with BIND's decision to ignore additional data in such circumstances
combined with BIND's decision to drop client queries when no address
records exist for the authoritative servers required to resolve a query,
leading to non-response from caching servers and client retries.

Network-level problems come in a distant second to server problems
combined with short TTLs. When I have a report done, I'll see if I
can release it to the list.

Thanks,

	Tim