RE: DNS vs. non-DNS Data (was Re: Signature at parent (draft-ietf -dnsop-parent-sig-00.txt))

"Larson, Matt" <mlarson@verisign.com> Mon, 16 April 2001 21:10 UTC

From: "Larson, Matt" <mlarson@verisign.com>
To: 'Tim Seaver' <tas@bellsouth.net>
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: DNS vs. non-DNS Data (was Re: Signature at parent (draft-ietf -dnsop-parent-sig-00.txt))
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:56:50 -0400
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Seems like this thread has strayed into operational territory, so I'm
directing replies to dnsop@cafax.se (and including the whole message for
background).

Tim, could you please elaborate on your #1 below?  I'm not sure if you're
attributing the short TTLs to the {com,net,org} zone contents.  But I just
wanted to point out that although all delegations in the {com,net,org} zones
have a 48-hour TTL, that should have little effect on how long a zone's NS
RRset is actually cached.  In any BIND name server since 4.9, as well as the
Microsoft DNS server (at least the W2K version--don't have an NT 4 system
handy to test), the NS RRset in the delegated zone overrides the RRset
obtained from the parent.  So NS RRsets for subzones of {com,net,org} with
"short" TTLs are an issue with individual zone administrators.

What do you mean by "overload of gTLD servers"?  We've sized the
{com,net,org} name servers very carefully and monitor the query volume in
real time.  We have lots of headroom and have yet to come close to our
maxmimum.  I'd be very interested in any data you've got--I wouldn't like to
think we've missed something.

Thanks,

Matt
--