Re: [dnsext] How well supported are unknown RRs in modern resolvers?

Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us> Tue, 08 March 2011 22:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 14:21:11 -0800
From: Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
To: Alex Bligh <alex@alex.org.uk>
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] How well supported are unknown RRs in modern resolvers?

On 03/08/2011 13:41, Alex Bligh wrote:

> --On 8 March 2011 13:31:10 -0800 Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us> wrote:
>
>> The point Nicholas made about moving the CLONE logic to the stub is
>> something I'm interested in pursuing, but my understanding is that "a
>> lot" of resolving name servers still have problems dealing with RR types
>> they don't understand. Is this still true?
>
> I would expand your worry-space from resolvers to include middleboxen also.
>
> Nick should have / could collect some good data on this. I think this is
> going to push us into EDNS if only for signalling reasons. Ray Bellis's
> report suggests that serious SOHO CPE problems will arise if the packets
> get larger than 512 bytes, but I don't think he explicitly tested unknown
> RRs.

Yeah, "middleboxes are a hard problem" is one of the reasons that I
heavily focused on the resolver for the DNSSEC part of the solution for
CLONE, and (admittedly) ignored the stub part of the equation. OTOH, if
we're going to get DNSSEC validation pushed down into the stub the
middlebox problem really has to be solved.

So what are the chances that we're going to be able to reliably deal
with stubs passing EDNS _options_ (I'm not talking about just the size
of the packet, I'm talking about actually having the stub say "I'd like
EDNS option foo please").

Doug

			-- OK Go