Re: Wrap-up trustupdate timers

Mike StJohns <Mike.StJohns@nominum.com> Tue, 21 November 2006 20:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:40:35 -0500
To: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl>, IETF DNSEXT WG <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
From: Mike StJohns <Mike.StJohns@nominum.com>
Subject: Re: Wrap-up trustupdate timers
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

I'm working on the editorial changes I agreed to in previous
messages, but... see below.

At 02:33 PM 11/21/2006, Olaf M. Kolkman wrote:

>Dear colleagues,
>
>We have reviewed the comments received during the last call for
>draft-ietf-dnsext-trustupdate-timers-04

>There is a rough consensus for forwarding the rollover requirements
>document although there are some minor editorial changes that need to
>be addressed in a new rev.
>

>During the WGLC the editor has stated a number of times that he was of
>the opinion that issues where closed and discarded those. Most notably
>

>- There has been quite some discussion on section 2.3.
>   That is an indication that that section is not quite self- documenting.
>
>   A strawman proposal is to reorder/rewrite the text so that it is
>   clear that the zone-owner can take action within a certain time after
>   publishing a new key in a keyset and what the response of the
>resolver
>   of that action is. How about:

As I said previously, if I'm going to do anything with this text, its
that I'm going to remove it.  The first sentence covers what the zone
owner can do with the contents of the zone.  Obviously, the zone
owner can put into the zone whatever he or she wants and is not
subject to MUST/MAY/SHOULD...  the lower case may be appropriate, but
only as administrative guidance.   The second sentence covers what
the resolver does when it sees strange information from the
zone.  What the readers seem to be unable to grasp is that what the
zone owner does is not controlling on what the resolver does except
as to how the resolver reacts to the records retrieved from the zone.

So I'll remove this section rather than go through this discussion once again.

I'm actually going through and lower casing most of the SHOULDs in
section 6 as well.

>     2.3 Remove Hold-down
>
>     Zone owners MAY remove a new key from the DNSKEY RRset if the add
>     hold-down timer has not been reached after first publication of
>     the RRset in the DNS i.e. when the DNSKEY RR set first seen by
>     resolvers.
>
>     If resolvers notice the removal of a previously added new key from
>     a DNSKEY RRset, it waits for the remove hold-down time and then,
>     if the key hasn't reappeared, SHOULD discard any information about
>     the key.
>
>   Obviously the editor, who is a native speaker, will find ways to
>   improve on this.
>
>- Clarification of the calculation of the minimum transmit time.
>
>- The editor has responded to most comments made and promised a
>   number of minor edits. He did, at a number of times, push back
>   suggestions made by working group members. Since there was no
>   further dispute the chairs assume consent with the editors position
>   and close these issues.
>
>Our proposal is to wait for rev 5 of the document allow for 1 week of
>review and then advance the document to the IESG with the note below
>(pending an additional review by the chairs).

Yup.  Figure sometime next week if not earlier for the -05 rev.