Re: DNS vs. non-DNS Data (was Re: Signature at parent (draft-ietf-dnsop-parent-sig-00.txt))

Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> Sat, 07 April 2001 05:14 UTC

From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
To: Kevin Darcy <kcd@daimlerchrysler.com>
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: DNS vs. non-DNS Data (was Re: Signature at parent (draft-ietf-dnsop-parent-sig-00.txt))
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 13:33:24 +1000
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

    Date:        Fri, 06 Apr 2001 16:13:27 -0400
    From:        Kevin Darcy <kcd@daimlerchrysler.com>

  | What is the definition of "DNS data", actually?

When I saw Randy's message, I was going to send almost an identical
reply.

Personally, I have no problem with storing almost any kind of data in the
DNS, provided that it makes technical sense to put it there (that is, given
the limited available space for RDATA, so for example, storing images in the
DNS wouldn't be rational) and provided that the DNS is the sane mechanism
for the data and the way it is to be retrieved (so anything that you want
to be able to find based upon an imprecise query, or a query that isn't
easily mapped into a domain name, should go someplace else).  Also the
data needs to be of unrestricted access (DNS data is available to the
universe, despite the misguided efforts of some to provide implementation
defined access restrictions).

But where it makes sense to use a domain name to fetch a small amount of
public data, then I don't mind defining an RR code for the thing.   About
all that is left is to decide whether the definition of the object is precise
enough that we know what is really being fetched and how to use it, and
whether it is realistically going to be used enough to make it worth the
bother of doing the assignment (there have been cases proposed where I
though the thing being defined so useless that it just wasn't worth the
effort).

kre