Re: DNSSEC - Signature Only vs the MX/A issue.

Mike StJohns <Mike.StJohns@nominum.com> Thu, 30 November 2006 19:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:48:58 -0500
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
From: Mike StJohns <Mike.StJohns@nominum.com>
Subject: Re: DNSSEC - Signature Only vs the MX/A issue.
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

At 03:47 PM 11/28/2006, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 03:13:50PM -0500,
>  Mike StJohns <Mike.StJohns@nominum.com> wrote
>  a message of 25 lines which said:
>
> > Not exactly.  See my previous note to Mark.  SO still protects the
> > atomicity of an RRSet - you can delete ALL of the SRV records or
> > none of them.  If you delete all of them at a label, the lookup
> > fails and you can't proceed.
>
>See Peter Koch's reply :-) Many protocols define a fallback outside of
>the RRset. For instance, in
>http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-andrews-http-srv-01.txt,
>there is a fallback from SRV to A.

Couldn't find a copy - the link you provided is bad.

But that brings up a question.  Just what atomicity guarantees do you
expect DNSSEC to provide for DNS lookups?

For example - an SRV  or NAPTR record at one name can point to a
record at another name - do you expect that the entire group of
related records MUST be signed?  If so how do you enforce it,
especially if the references point outside the zone?

If you're talking about A record fall back (e.g. asking for a
SRV/NAPTR/pick one record at www.example.com and falling back to the
A records at www.example.com), what atomicity guarantee do you need
in the temporal dimension?  E.g. if I try and retrieve the SRV record
and am told it doesn't exist - securely - but the zone operator is in
the process of installing it and does so before I can retrieve
(perhaps manually) the A record - is that OK even though by the time
I retrieved the A record the SRV record actually did exist?  Or worse
yet, the operator was in the process of deleting the A record and
adding the SRV record - I was able to prove when I went to get the
SRV record it didn't exist - when I went to get the A record it also
didn't exist.  Both things were true when I asked, but the result is
that for some period of time I will believe that no service exists.

PNE makes the entire zone atomic for some measure of atomicity - what
statement would you make to an application developer about reliance
on that atomicity?