Re: Sense of the WG: mDNS configuration?

Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> Wed, 22 August 2001 21:40 UTC

From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com>
cc: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>, namedroppers@psg.com
Subject: Re: Sense of the WG: mDNS configuration?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:40:31 +0700
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

    Date:        Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:39:25 -0400
    From:        Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com>

  | >       Domain Searchlist (draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-05.txt)
  | >       mDNS enable (draft-guttman-dhc-mdns-enable-01.txt)
  | >       Name Service Searchlist (RFC 2937)

  | This strikes me somewhat as comparing apples to oranges.

I don't think so.

  | The three choices above do not do the same thing,

Not in general, but for the issue here, they're being bent (to greater
or lesser degrees) into answering the same question.  The issue is which
of those we should use to get the answer.

  | so if the goal is to pick one,
  | I would back up and ask: Can we get some agreement on what problem
  | needs to be solved?

Bernard replied to that already - but I don't think there was ever any
real question over what the issue was (why the above question was asked).

  | I suspect that a choice of one approach over the
  | other reflects at least partially disagreement on what the actual
  | problem is that folks think is being addressed.

I doubt it.   I think it is more along the lines of what else comes for
free when one of the choices is adopted, and what else gets lost when one
of the choices is adopted, and the relative priorities people place on
those.

kre