draft-ymbk-opcode-discover-02.txt

Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com> Tue, 31 July 2001 15:00 UTC

From: Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com>
To: erik.guttman@sun.com, vixie@isc.org, bmanning@karoshi.com
cc: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>, namedroppers <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>, Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@eng.sun.com>
Subject: draft-ymbk-opcode-discover-02.txt
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 07:27:05 -0700

The RFC editor recently received a request to publish
draft-ymbk-opcode-discover-02.txt as an Experimental RFC. As with all
RFC submissions, the IESG was asked whether it related to on-going WG
activity and whether it was appropriate to publish the document at
this time. The IESG, in consultation with the DNSEXT chairs, has
recommended that it not be published at this time, as the document
clearly relates to work that would be in-scope for the DNSEXT WG.  The
authors should take the document to the DNSEXT WG for further
consideration.

Quoting from the document:

> Per instructions from a chair of the IETF DNSEXT WG to the moderator of
> the namedropppers@ops.ietf.org mailing list, it is forbidden to discuss
> this draft on that list or in the context of that IETF working
> group.

Per the June 19 note from the Internet ADs (appended below), this
document may be discussed on the namedroppers mailing list. However,
because the document has a non-derivative rights clause, and thus
doesn't give the IETF change control, the WG needs to be careful to
not invest significant resources on the document, so long as there is
question whether the WG has adequate change control rights over the
document.

Note that there are at least two issues that need to be resolved
before this document can be published as an RFC. First, the WG needs
to agree that it is OK to publish the document based on its content.
Second, the non-derivative rights clause will likely have to be
removed in order to give the IETF change control over the
document. IETF change control is needed, if the IETF is ever to revise
the document, e.g., to fix bugs, clarify text, or put it on the
Standards Track. Thus, it is an open question whether the IESG should
ever support publication of this draft as an RFC if the IETF does not
retain change control.

The quickest way to get past the above issues is to reissue the
document with Statement 1 boilerplate and build support for it within
the DNSEXT WG to publish the document.

Thomas & Erik