RE: Standardize RSA/SHA256 ?

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Thu, 18 May 2006 03:43 UTC

Subject: RE: Standardize RSA/SHA256 ?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:39:46 -0700
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <ogud@ogud.com>, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Cc: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

I suspect that what Russ actually said was that Working Groups should plan to transition from SHA-1 because it is unacceptably weak.

In the security area the minimum key length for RSA that applications must support has been 2048 bits for some time.

DNSSEC is the only application where a transition from RSA1024 to RSA2048 creates real operational difficulties.

I don't think that weak crypto is a show stopper for deployment of DNSSEC, it will be a decade or more before breaking a 56 bit key will be the weakest link in any of the crypto systems in use.

But when developers are being told to update their algorithms it seems to me that you want to make sure that the number of transitions is minimized rather than the extent of each transition.

The task of adding a crypto algorithm to existing code is probably the most trivial coding change you can imagine. But you still have a full QA cycle and a full interop cycle and those are never easy or simple.