Re: Multicast DNS clarification needed

itojun@iijlab.net Wed, 16 August 2000 14:35 UTC

To: "Nicolae, Dan" <Dan.Nicolae@usa.xerox.com>
cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Multicast DNS clarification needed
From: itojun@iijlab.net
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:16:23 +0900
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

>First of all, before commenting over the MDNS drafts draft it would be good
>to know if draft-aboba-dnsext-mdns-01.txt and Bill Manning's draft, both
>with similar names, are being seen as competing specifications or they are
>supposed to coexist.
>
>I am assuming here that, despite the identical name, the two drafts
>complement each other and commenting on one involves keeping the other in
>mind.
>

>I remember seeing remark about the practical impossibility to have two
>separate processes listening on the same IP port but different IP addresses
>(unicast and multicast). I am not sure how true that is, but if it is, it is
>important to consider it when talking about three mechanisms (DNS and two
>MDNS) that plan to share the same port (53).

	I'm not sure if it is at all relevant to the topic...

	We (KAME team, www.kame.net) have fairly stable aboba-mDNS
	implementation, based on 00 draft.  Our implementation works as
	a tiny DNS server daemon.  application programs will contact the
	mDNS daemon using unicast UDP, and the mDNS server daemon relays it
	to link-local multicast on the wire, and that would reach the
	adjacent node.  We only have single daemon listening to UDP port 53
	(which is mDNS daemon).

	if it is necessary for mDNS daemon to contact normal unicast DNS
	servers, it can also relay traffic to normal DNS servers using
	unicast UDP.

	application programs
	libc resolver
	  | unicast UDP port 53
	  v				unicast
	mDNS daemon -----------------------------> normal DNS servers
	  | multicast, UDP port 53
	mDNS daemon on adjacent node

	as aboba-mDNS is a zeroconf solution, I do not really expect to run
	aboba-mDNS daemon on the same machine as we run normal DNS server.

	i'm not sure if the above example is relevant to manning-mDNS at all.

itojun