Non-terminal-wildcards Re: SRV records considered dubious

"Olaf M. Kolkman" <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl> Fri, 24 November 2006 18:01 UTC

Cc: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>, Patrik Faltstrom <paf@frobbit.se>
From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <olaf@NLnetLabs.nl>
Subject: Non-terminal-wildcards Re: SRV records considered dubious
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:46:31 +0100
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <pbaker@verisign.com>, IETF DNSEXT WG <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Hello Phil,

I moved this discussion to namedroppers and BCC-ed the IETF list,
please continue this part of the thread on namedroppers.

For namedroppers, the context is:
A discussion on draft-iab-dnsext-choices (the document) and the
pointer mechanism as described in [1].

On 23Nov 2006, at 5:18 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> How is it going to have review if the editors refuse to consider it?

It is not only the editors of dns-choices that need to review the
pointer mechanism,  I think a wider review of the pointer mechanism
is needed in order to assess the idea is actually a good alternative
choice. The only thin I claim is that, as far as that happened, it
did not come to a conclusion yet.

> Sounds to me like you are saying that you are not going to consider my
> proposal until after I persuade DKIM to adopt it.
>
> Fine.

No, that is not what I am trying to say. I think that if you want to
'design' a more general extension mechanism you should actually try
to pull this spec out of DKIM.

[1] doesn't look that DKIM specific and it doesn't specify the
configuration directive you proposed on namedroppers in July [2] nor
the discussion that followed. I think that it is time for a rev or
maybe even a new draft in order to get closer to a conclusion.

So,  let us try to do justice to the whole "a suggestion for super-
wildcards" discussion (thread starting at [4]).

Rereading that thread:
I think that most folk seem to agree that the "**" (terminal) super-
wildcard could be implemented using a preprocessor [3], personally I
think that such mechanism does not need a protocol action. I also
think that there are still folk that would like to see a solution for
the not-so-terminal wildcard (_foo.*.example.com) although we have
not seen any concrete solutions and there is doubt that deployment of
such (protocol) extension would ever happen.

On new RRs: We can continue to have long debates on how difficult it
is to introduce a new RR and weather or not the problems that we see
with a major systems vendor are real or not. I do not think that will
lead anywhere. Having said that: This working group is wrapping up
RFC2929bis which should ease the IANA process and at some point in
the future, so my crystal ball predicts, all systems will support
unknown RRs and their portable zone file representation.

Let us assume that whatever we design to deal with the problem at
hand is so good that it will cause system updates on which support
for RFC3597 piggybacks.

Back to the problem at hand as described in  section 3 of your
document [1] and some parts of the email discussion. Paraphrased: An
application (the DKIM policy client) wants to know all policy
statements for application X (currently mail) that relates to domain
Y. Since domain Y is an element in the DNS namespace the only
sensible choice is to use the DNS to reach that information. Also, we
need to design a generic mechanism so that we do not have to register
new identifiers whenever X changes i.e. we do not want to go back to
IANA. (do I paraphrase that correctly ?).

I have seen you argue against applying DDDS for this problem but I am
not sure why DDDS and the 'terminal' super-wildcard generation
mechanism does not provide the appropriate means to redirect to a
'policy server' that is (potentially) outside the DNS? My gut feeling
is that we have the building blocks available now. You indicated you
dismissed the idea, could you elaborate a bit, or refer to the
appropriate message in the thread in case I have overlooked the
argument?

I'm also not sure if and how you can avoid namespace clashes for
applications when you do not register the identifiers for "X". In
that sense I think that the effort by Dave [5] is sensible.

> Just don't dare tell me that choices in any way prevents DKIM from
> considering my proposal. And don't dare suggest that choices does
> anything more than consider the four options it describes.

I have not told you anything, at this moment I am trying to listen.

Enjoy the turducken left-overs :-)

--Olaf

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hallambaker-
dkimpolicy-00.txt