Re: Section 5.2 (IPR encumberance) in TAK rollover requirement draft

Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@connotech.com> Mon, 06 March 2006 14:15 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:49:52 -0500
From: Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@connotech.com>
To: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>, Namedroppers <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Section 5.2 (IPR encumberance) in TAK rollover requirement draft
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

In a long post, Ted Lemon wrote:

> [... intro and vegetarian restaurant ...]
>
> So it's not appropriate for you to frame the discussion of the patent on your
> technique for key rollover in terms of value.

The value in DNSSEC that I refer is from no deployment to some
deployment, and *not* from no specifications/working-code to some
specifications/working-code. The latter is where most of the money has
been spent so far, in the collaborative mode that you describe.

> [...]
> And frankly the main thing that's prevented DNSSEC from being deployed is
> people trying to figure out how they can make money from it.   Generally
> speaking, the answer has been "exclude most domain names, because the owners
> of those domains can't afford to pay what we want to charge."

There is a cost structure associated with the DNSSEC deployment. The
benefits are accrued to the resolver side, and the bulk of the costs are
incurred on the nameserver side.

> [...]
>
> The fear that I have, and that perhaps others in this working group share, is
> that you want a tax on every DNS lookup.   I've seen many people ask, "what
> is your intention with respect to this patent?   How do you intend to license
> it?"  You haven't said anything about this that I can recall seeing - please
> correct me if I am wrong.

See http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2005/msg01694.html
and http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2005/msg01804.html

Some details might need to be updated, but the main ideas remain.

> [... about "the cultural norm of the IETF" ...]

I take good note of this.

> We aren't culturally okay with
> monetizing mainstream protocols.

However, DNS name registration and nameserver operations is an industry
which is even studied by OECD economists. There is thus a mismatch
between the cultural norm of the IETF and deployment contingencies.

 > [...]

I don't know to which extent your post relates to
draft-ietf-dnsext-rollover-requirements-00.txt, but anyway thanks for it.

Regards,

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.