Issues with draft-aboba-dnsext-mdns-01.txt

"Bernard Aboba" <aboba@internaut.com> Sat, 30 September 2000 22:00 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
To: namedroppers@psg.com
Subject: Issues with draft-aboba-dnsext-mdns-01.txt
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:58:13 -0700
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

To stimulate discussion, I thought I'd post a
list of issues that came up in the
process of going over the draft. If you have
opinions on these or other topics, please
respond to the list.

a. Does mDNS apply only to QCLASS=IN or can it
apply to other QCLASSes as well?

b. Should the response only return NS and SOA RRs to a
   query with QTYPE=ANY? Or should it return other
   records as well?

c. Are there any OPCODE restrictions (e.g. no OPCODE=1?)

d. What happens if the TC flag is set in the reply?

e. Should the response always have the RA bit clear? What if it doesn't?

f. Are RRs ever returned in the additional section? If so, is any language
required in the draft relating to validation of these RRs?

g. Should the AA bit be set in responses?

h. Should we have any language about what should be permitted in
the ensuing unicast queries?

i. What is the default value of TTL used in unicast queries?

j. What is the implied TTL for negative caching when there is
no multicast response?

k. Is no response equivalent to NXRRSET or NXDOMAIN?

l. How will mDNS work with DNSSEC?
     Hosts can generate KEY and SIG RRs, but how can
     they get the KEY record signed? There is no name server
     authoritative for the .lcl.arpa domain, right?