Re: [dnsext] [DNSOP] DNS vulnerabilities

"Hosnieh Rafiee" <ietf@rozanak.com> Sun, 27 October 2013 09:34 UTC

From: Hosnieh Rafiee <ietf@rozanak.com>
To: 'Masataka Ohta' <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:33:40 +0100
Cc: 'Andrew Sullivan' <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>, DNSOP@ietf.org, dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] [DNSOP] DNS vulnerabilities

> In message <526BAEAE.6080806@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>, Masataka
> Ohta writes:
> > Hosnieh Rafiee wrote:
> >
> > > I have gathered some vulnerabilities in the current DNS security
> > > approaches such as DNSSEC and etc.  We think it is useful to have a
> > > survey of existing vulnerabilities or any new vulnerabilities so
> > > that we can address those issues in other standard RFC.  This is why
> > > we plan to write a new informational draft.
> >
> > As was discussed recently in IETF ML, a serious vulnerability of, so
> > called, DNSSEC is lack of secure time.
> >
> > In the discussion, there is no practical solution against it, though
> > some security novices innocently believed GPS time were automagically
> > secure.
> >
> > That is, so far, there is no way to have really secure DNSSEC.
> >
> > 						Masataka Ohta

I guess this problem is also true for any protocol that uses timestamp in
their signature and not DNSSEC specific.  Because the nodes need to consider
clock skew (for at least a few seconds) and this is actually where the
attacker can attack the node (replay attack.... )

Hosnieh
. success is a journey, not a destination..
You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your
direction ... Focus on the journey