Re: 2929bis RRTYPE Allocation for the ENUM Branch Location Record

Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <ogud@ogud.com> Mon, 11 December 2006 14:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:48:26 -0500
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
From: Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <ogud@ogud.com>
Subject: Re: 2929bis RRTYPE Allocation for the ENUM Branch Location Record
Cc: Otmar Lendl <lendl@nic.at>, townsley@cisco.com
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Dear colleagues,

This message starts an "test drive" of the RFC2929bis
"IANA template registration of DNS RR types".

This is an experiment to determine if there are any obvious problems
with the template (and its process) that can be fixed before
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-04.txt
is issued as an BCP.

RFC2929bis will be advanced to the IESG this Friday unless someone
tells us there is a problem with the current document.

Time line for the experiment/test drive:
Start: December 11 15:00 Reykjavik Time  (UTC)
End:   January   1 23:59 Reykjavik Time  (UTC)
Mark Townsley our AD will appoint a special DNS expert for this experiment
    before Jan 1'st and announce his appointment on namedroppers.
Expert review due: January 15'th 12:00 UTC

The chairs are aware that there are number of holidays during this period,
please use that as a motivation to participate sooner rather than later,
by reading the template, the document referred to in the template.
Then send message to namedroppers with
         your issues
or     stating your satisfaction that the information provided is sufficient.

It is important for the working group, its reputation and future workload
that the process to register new RR types is as smooth and robust as possible.

Chairs Notes on template process:
#1 2929bis does not specify a deadline for the expert or what the default
    answer is if the expert is non responsive. In the case of single expert
    this is fine as the expert should allowed to take a long vacation :-)
    For this experiment we specified a deadline in order to conclude
the process
    before the document is processed by the IESG.

#2 This process does not allow consideration of private messages to the
    expert.

thank you
         Olafur & Olaf