Re: [DNSOP] kskroll-sentinel responses

"Paul Hoffman" <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org> Tue, 02 January 2018 23:37 UTC

From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
To: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 15:37:06 -0800
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] kskroll-sentinel responses

On 23 Dec 2017, at 11:59, Geoff Huston wrote:

>> On 22 Dec 2017, at 8:44 am, Ray Bellis <ray@bellis.me.uk> wrote:
>>

>> On 21/12/2017 15:36, Robert Story wrote:
>>> I reread the draft today, and noticed that two things aren't
>>> specified.
>>> The first is the contents of the A/AAAA RRSET returned, and the
>>> second
>>> is the TTL for the records.
>>>
>>> Maybe the A/AAAA record values could be used to return additional
>>> details? For example, whether or not the key is part of static
>>> configuration, or learned via 5011.
>>
>> I had also wondered about this.
>>
>> A browser-based system for triggering these queries can't do so
>> without
>> also then attempting a download of some resource via whatever IP
>> address
>> is returned.
>>
>> (in other words, you can't make a browser "just" do a DNS lookup, the
>> DNS lookup is a side effect of attempting to access a URL)
>>

> As Ray points out, if a browser is conducting the experiment, and the
> only visible indication of successful resolution is the retrieval of
> the
> named object, then a reasonable test would use some sentinel object as
> the named target (a 1x1 pixel gif is conventional in these
> circumstances). In this case the TTL of the DNS record is not directly
> visible to the browser.
>
> In situations where a client may have multiple resolvers in their
> local
> /etc/resolv.conf configuration, and recursive resolvers may themselves
> /use forwarders, it is not immediately obvious which resolver
> generated the response, so I’m unsure of the interpretation of any
> attempt to embed some form of additional information into either the
> IP
> address of the named object.
>
> The intent of the test is to establish a usable test along the lines
> of
> "If you can retrieve this named object you are ready for a Root Zone
> KSK
> roll" The issues around the diversity of behaviours in the DNS turn
> this
> dsimple songle fetch into a compound fetch of three named objects, but
> the semantic intent is the same. That is: "From the pattern of the
> results of performing these three tests we can compute a likelihood of
> concluding whether or not, you, the end user, will, or will not, be
> affected by a pending KSK roll. From a large enough sample of users
> was
> can then estimate the 'impact' of a KSK roll on the total user
> population.
>
> Note that the intent is not to try and isolate the behaviour of a
> single
> resolver, nor to attempt to diagnose the reasons for that behaviour.
> The
> intent is to look at the user and the set of resolvers that the user's
> DNS is configured to use, and determine if the user's DNS will be
> [...]

This answer doesn't seem to fully address Robert's and Ray's questions.
Why use an A/AAAA query if you aren't going to do anything with the
result? If you are going to use A/AAAA, you have to tell resolvers what
to return in the results. Using a new RRtype would have clearer
semantics.

--Paul Hoffman