Re: [DNSOP] Proposed text for reverse-mapping-considerations draft

Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com> Thu, 31 May 2007 22:17 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 18:16:48 -0400
To: John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
From: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Proposed text for reverse-mapping-considerations draft
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org

I think this text is helpful, to understand where the 'requirement´ for
reverse DNS entries came from.
This mechanism was  used by ftp servers to keep logs and enforce export
control on cryptographic software :-)

You may want to add a paragraph that the r* command use of reverse mapping
for security was copied/cloned by number of other protocols.

         Olafur