Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-jabley-dnsop-missing-mname-00

Phil Regnauld <regnauld+dnsop@catpipe.net> Sat, 28 June 2008 11:24 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:24:48 +0200
From: Phil Regnauld <regnauld+dnsop@catpipe.net>
To: Joe Abley <jabley@ca.afilias.info>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-jabley-dnsop-missing-mname-00
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

Joe Abley (jabley) writes:
> Hi all,
>
> Comments on this document in this list would be most welcome.

>    the MNAME field of an SOA record has no benefit, and in fact may well
>    cause unwanted traffic (DNS UPDATE messages) to be received by the
>    named server.

	... if the named server is at all reachable/exists.  Think stealth
	servers or other zone population and provisioning mechanisms that do
	not use AXFR/IXFR as their method of distribution (i.e. where each
	nameserver for the delegation could arguably be itself a master).
	I won't even get into MNAMEs pointing to RFC1918 addresses (see
	http://www.ripe.net/ripe/maillists/archives/dns-wg/2005/msg00264.html)

>    This document specifies a convention by which a zone operator may
>    include an empty MNAME field in order to deliberately specify that
>    there is no appropriate place for Dynamic Updates to be sent.

	Question: How do existing implementations react to the presence of a
	single, terminal doFrom dnsop-bounces@ietf.org  Sat Jun 28 04:24:48 2008