Re: [DNSOP] fyi [Pdns-users] Please test: ALIAS/ANAME apex record in PowerDNS

bert hubert <bert.hubert@netherlabs.nl> Mon, 22 September 2014 18:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:09:01 +0200
From: bert hubert <bert.hubert@netherlabs.nl>
To: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] fyi [Pdns-users] Please test: ALIAS/ANAME apex record in PowerDNS

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 01:37:03PM -0400, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:
> I’m getting confused about what the exact semantics of the proposed mechanisms are.

We're here to figure those out. Thanks for your input Olafur, appreciated!

> Q1: The intent is that  ALIAS/ANAME/etc are a fallback rewrite operation if the name does not have the type asked for?

The intent is to solve the 'CNAME at apex'-problem. The implementation needs
to keep SOA, NS etc alive, but override at least A and AAAA. Hence the
fallback, to retain SOA and NS.

> Q2: Is there a good  reason to restrict this to just the apex of a zone?

No, and it isn't implemented like that right now.

> Q3: Is there a  good reason to restrict the target of A* to be in-zone ?

No, since the specific use-case is to hand off to a CDN name, which is
unlikely to be in-zone.

> Q4: Is there a  good reason to restrict this to specific types? (Think about DANE cases with names like _443._tcp.@apex)

I think Tony's input that you might end up with an incompatible SPF
if you fall-through for MX makes a good case to restrict to 'address
records', currently A and AAAA.

The open questions are: what to do on an ANY query? You can't proxy on an
ANY query to auth as an ANY query to a resolver since the semantics are
different. ANY queries are fragile enough as is, but to maintain any
semblance of working, an ANY query hitting an ALIAS type should be proxied
on as an A and an AAAA query, and both should be tacked on to the answer.

	Bert