Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for draft-pounsett-transferring-automated-dnssec-zones-02.txt

Antoin Verschuren <ietf@antoin.nl> Wed, 09 November 2016 14:03 UTC

From: Antoin Verschuren <ietf@antoin.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 15:03:00 +0100
To: Matthew Pounsett <matt@conundrum.com>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for draft-pounsett-transferring-automated-dnssec-zones-02.txt

Hi Matt,

I cannot help noticing that draft-pounsett-transferring-automated-dnssec-zones is providing the same solution as an earlier draft draft-koch-dnsop-dnssec-operator-change.
This draft has already gone through a review process, and is considered to be done content wise by the authors.

The reason why draft-koch-dnsop-dnssec-operator-change has never made it to WG adoption in DNSOPS is because of IPR that is now also targeting your draft.
There is currently discussion on this IPR on the REGEXT mailinglist because draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay, which is the standardization of the provisioning parameters for this secure operator change concept is stalled for a long time as well because of this IPR.

Can I ask you how your draft is different from draft-koch-dnsop-dnssec-operator-change to justify a new attempt?
Wouldn’t the IPR pose the same adoption issues as draft-koch-dnsop-dnssec-operator-change?

The authors of draft-koch-dnsop-dnssec-operator-change are willing to revive the draft and ask for WG adoption by DNSOPS as well.
As co-author of that draft and the original inventor of the secure dns-operator change method, I’m open to see how that draft can be improved by your attempt, and see if we could work together to get this concept described in an Informational RFC.

draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay is stalled in IESG review for 328 days now, and I wouldn’t want the DNSOPS WG to waste the same time while the IPR issue is not resolved.
Instead, I think it would be wise to jointly address both the Informational concept description and provisioning solution and if members of DNSOPS have any input to the IPR discussion on the REGEXT mailinglist, I would invite them to contribute.

- --
Antoin Verschuren

Tweevoren 6, 5672 SB Nuenen, NL
M: +31 6 37682392