Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-04.txt

John Kristoff <jtk@cymru.com> Mon, 14 May 2012 22:29 UTC

Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 17:29:46 -0500
From: John Kristoff <jtk@cymru.com>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-04.txt

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 09:56:40 -0800
Eric Osterweil <eosterweil@verisign.com> wrote:

> We have resurrected our draft Improving DNS Service Availability by
> Using Long TTL Values, and added some new polish to it.  We've taken
> some feedback from various people and would love to hear any thoughts
> other people have.

Hi Eric,

I remember this draft from years ago so I'll resurrect and update my
comments on the subject as well.

I'm not convinced these long TTLs are for everyone , though of course
I'm not opposed to it, from an operational perspective I would need to
be convinced this is worthwhile.  I think ultimately it depends on
the operator.  There doesn't seem to be much critical analysis in why
this might not be desirable. I'll try to offer some.

Practically speaking, while caching to avoid transient issues may be
highly desirable, you may find that many operators would prefer to
build their network to get as many queries as possible even if that
leaves that part of the hierarchy at risk when transient issues arise.
Queries, even and often especially if unnecessary, have intrinsic
intelligence value.

In the Introduction there is this sentence:

   Furthermore, the use of shared unicast introduces one entry in the
   global BGP routing for every shared unicast enabled server.

This is misleading.  There may be many unique announcements from each
each anycast instance, but each router's global table will use only one
as long as the prefix is consistent.

Does the deployment of DNSSEC change any of the underlying assumptions?

The references used in section two are now quite old.  Updated
measurement results to ensure they support the recommendations would be
nice.

After reading section 3.3, I wrote to myself "Such as?"  What sorts of
changes are you alluding to?

This is designed specifically for the root and TLDs, yes?  It might be
helpful to make this stipulation more clear in the Recommendations
section.

It seems to me that this may be a useful document to help folks
design their own strategy for "infrastructure RRs".  I would approach
it that way, as an informational guide demonstrating how to do it and
why you might want to.  I'm not convinced everyone should.  At least
you've not convinced me yet.  :-)

For background, this is related:

  https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2006-April/000503.html

Note, the concern about uncooperative authoritative DNS servers.

Lixia sought comments from the DNS operations community on this topic in
2007 and I followed up offline.  I'll include that follow up here for
posterity and since it may never have made it to you since it includes
the concern mentioned above.