Re: [DNSOP] KSK rollover

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Thu, 13 May 2010 23:33 UTC

To: George Barwood <george.barwood@blueyonder.co.uk>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:33:24 +1000
Sender: marka@isc.org
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] KSK rollover

In message <44C21CD9EE514B039EAFEAFA707A2DA1@local>, "George Barwood" writes:

> [...]

	RFC5011 really isn't applicable to this case.

> The mechanism that occurs to me is to have a new RRtype, say "CDS", with
> identical format to the DS record, but placed in the child zone ( and
> signed by the child zone). The parent, at regular intervals, or on
> receiving a notification from the child, would retrieve the contents of
> the CDS RRset, and use it as the new DS RRset ( of course after validating
> it using the old DS RRset ).

	There are lots of way to do this.
	* Use UPDATE to update the delegation records in the parent.
	  This would work today it only requires a willingness to do so.
	  This can be done securely (TSIG) and will scale.
	  UPDATE was designed to support this.
	* Try to guess which keys should have DS's based on SEP bits.
	* Use a different RR type (DLV does this).  poll/notify to
	  incorporate.  (Ed the daily delegation check could do this. :-))
	* Use some epp extension.
	* Use a modified UPDATE which accepts and forwards to the
	  registrar for inclusion in the zone rather than immediately
	  updates the zone.  When a registrar is not involved it is
	  handled as a plain UPDATE.
	* ....

> There probably needs to be consideration of how the system can recover after
> a KSK is compromised, maybe there should be some minimum time interval
> before a new DS record is fully trusted. I have not thought that through.
>
> Well, that's just my immediate thoughts, there may be a better way.
>
> I'm somewhat puzzled that thre is no specification, and apparently no
> activity on this.

	There is plenty of activity.  Most of it has been people
	looking at how to fit this into the registry/registrar model
	and worries about patent infringement that are claimed to
	have been filed for some of the above.  I doubt that any
	thing we do in this area is truly novel but the USPO grants
	patents on such trivial things that its become a issue.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org