[DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-perreault-dnsop-stats-mib-01.txt

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> Mon, 16 July 2012 15:50 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:51:12 -0400
From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-perreault-dnsop-stats-mib-01.txt

Dnsopers,

As suggested by a few people, we added a section to our draft evaluating
how we stand against RFC 3197. For your convenience, here it is
verbatim. We would of course appreciate further feedback.

Thanks,
Simon

1.2.  On RFC 3197

    A previous attempt at defining a MIB for DNS servers failed.
    [RFC3197] analyses the causes of that failure and identifies a few
    lessons to be learned.  This section compares those lessons against
    the proposal contained in this draft.

    o  Define a clear set of goals before writing any MIB extensions.
       Know who the constituency is and make sure that what you write
       solves their problem.

       *  There is a single goal: expose usage statistics (i.e.,
          counters) over SNMP.

       *  Constituency: The problem has been identified by TLD operators
          trying to obtain usage statistics from anycast nodes.  One TLD
          operator having this problem is co-authoring this draft.

    o  Keep the MIB extensions short, and don't add variables just
       because somebody in the WG thinks they'd be a cool thing to
       measure.

       *  The proposed MIB is short (subjectively).

       *  The stats exposed by the MIB are those already available in a
          popular DNS server used by many TLDs.

    o  If some portion of the task seems to be very hard to do within the
       SMI, that's a strong hint that SNMP is not the right tool for
       whatever it is that you're trying to do.

       *  Writing this MIB was easy and straightforward.

    o  If the entire project is taking too long, perhaps that's a hint
       too.

       *  From a technical point of view, this could be wrapped up
          quickly.