[DNSOP] Mia Culpa: Recursive resolver DNSSEC validation is necessary...

Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@icsi.berkeley.edu> Tue, 08 October 2013 16:52 UTC

From: Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@icsi.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 09:52:27 -0700
To: "dnsop@ietf.org WG" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Cc: Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@icsi.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [DNSOP] Mia Culpa: Recursive resolver DNSSEC validation is necessary...

I've in general advocated client, rather than recursive resolver validation, and with the client doing "iterative fetch and accept" on all DNSSEC failures.

With the recent revelation that the NSA/GCHQ is doing packet-injection on the backbone, at scale, and even using this to target NATO allies, I've changed my tune.  Even forget about NSA/GCHQ directly, they've now implicitly said that "hey, its OK" for everyone else to do it, too.

Backbone DNS injection allows converting a man-on-the-side attacker (who, eg, even with a certificate, can't intercept TLS using perfect forward secrecy, and who when attacking HTTP can only see requests before deciding what to do) into a full man-in-the-middle, as long as the attacker knows the target's recursive resolver.

Thus I've changed my tune:

1:  Recursive resolvers MUST validate DNSSEC as well as clients.  Not because I trust the recursive resolver, but there is now an adversary set where recursive resolver validation does help, and its an easier point to do.

2:  Validation failures due to bad signatures/etc MUST result in a failure unless specifically whitelisted.

3:  Future protocols MUST support "Connect by multiple name" semantics:  Given MULTIPLE names, only connect if all K names have the same IP after resolution.  (This enables multiple-validation-path DNSSEC, which is a pretty uni).

--
Nicholas Weaver                  it is a tale, told by an idiot,
nweaver@icsi.berkeley.edu                full of sound and fury,