Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-pettersen-subtld-structure-04.txt

"Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <yngve@opera.com> Thu, 06 November 2008 22:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:08:11 +0100
To: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
From: "Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <yngve@opera.com>
Cc: George Barwood <george.barwood@blueyonder.co.uk>, dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-pettersen-subtld-structure-04.txt
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:51:24 +0100, Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> wrote:

>> The domain structure of a TLD is not something that changes frequently,
>> it
>> is therefore suitable for a static file that contain the necessary
>> information, something which will also reduce network traffic.
>
> This static file is a bad idea waiting to not happen.  Root servers

Just assure you: By "static" I do not mean a file that won't change for
the next 100 years. I mean "static" in the web service sense, as opposed
to "dynamic" script generated content.

My suggestion in earlier versions of the draft have been that the client
caches the received file for 30 days, then revalidate it, and that new
registry-like domains should be included 90 days before going active.

This type of information is not updated frequently enough that a dynamic
check for every domain is needed, nor is the number of domains a sizeable
fraction of the domains registered, but small enough to make for a
relatively small download every month or two. Nor is it likely to happen
often (if ever) that a registry-like domain changes to an ordinary domain;
it is more likely to be the other way around.

Well, as I've mentiFrom dnsop-bounces@ietf.org  Thu Nov  6 14:09:15 2008