[DNSOP] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-iana-cons-04: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 05 October 2021 19:16 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-iana-cons@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, dnsop@ietf.org, tjw.ietf@gmail.com, tjw.ietf@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 12:16:06 -0700
Subject: [DNSOP] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-iana-cons-04: (with COMMENT)

draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-iana-cons-04: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-iana-cons/

COMMENT:

Thanks to Dan Harkins for the secdir review, and the authors for the
corresponding updates.

Section 1

   DNSSEC is primarily described in [RFC4033], [RFC4034], and [RFC4035].
   DNSSEC commonly uses two resource records beyond those defined in RFC
   4034: DS [RFC3658] (which was obsoleted by RFC 4034) and NSEC3
   [RFC5155].

I'm a bit confused at how DS is "beyond those defined in RFC 4034" when
RFC 4034 includes discussion of DS, the record format, etc.

Section 4

   In the "Domain Name System Security (DNSSEC) NextSECure3 (NSEC3)
   Parameters" registry, the registration procedure for "DNSSEC NSEC3
   Flags", "DNSSEC NSEC3 Hash Algorithms", and "DNSSEC NSEC3PARAM Flags"
   are changed from "Standards Action" to "RFC Required".

I note (this is a "comment", after all, right?) that the "flags"
registries have only 7 values available.  It is not entirely clear to me
that the IESG would be justified in using an RFC 5742 conflict-review
response to try to block any frivolous registration attempts made in
non-IETF-stream RFCs, but maybe we are willing to place confidence in
the other streams' managers behaving responsibly and otherwise accept
this risk.

NITS

Section 2 only talks about "DS or NSEC3 hash algorithms" but the actual
registry actions also cover the NSEC3{,PARAMS} flags registries.