Re: [DNSOP] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 30 September 2015 23:22 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 18:22:37 -0500
Cc: tjw.ietf@gmail.com, draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org, dnsop@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback.ad@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback.shepherd@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 30 Sep 2015, at 18:08, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2015, at 15:32, Ben Campbell wrote:

>> DISCUSS:
>>
>> This is just a process discuss:
>>
>> The IPR disclosure at http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2539/ says that
>> due
>> to the early state of the draft, license terms will be provided
>> later.
>> Obviously the draft is beyond early stages now. Does it make sense to
>> ask
>> for an update before progressing this draft?
>
> That's a question for the IESG, not the DNSOP WG, correct?

Yes, for the IESG to discuss.

> Having said that, it's not clear why the IESG would want to allow
> Verisign, or anyone else who says that they have a patent that they
> say they believe applies, to block progression of a document in the
> IETF. For an informational document such as this, maybe the damage of
> waiting months for a response is not a big deal, but doing so kinda
> sets a bad precedent for more timely standards track documents.

I agree we should not hold this up for months. It's a trade off between
that and letting an IPR holder wait for an RFC number before they
disclose terms. I don't know where that tradeoff should land--that's why
I brought it up for discussion.

I do note that the shepherd write up mentioned that the work group
anticipated license-free or royalty-free terms. The disclosure allows
for the possibility of royalty-bearing terms.

Ben.

>> COMMENT:
>>
>> -- section 1, paragraph 7: "Thus, recursive resolver software such as
>> BIND will not need to add
>> much new functionality, but recursive resolver software such as
>> Unbound will need to be able to talk to an authoritative server"
>>
>> It might be useful to mention the properties of BIND and Unbound that
>> make the difference.
>
> We did that in the sentence preceding the one quoted. That is, the
> property is that BIND also contains an authoritative resolver, but
> Unbound does not.

It was not clear to me if it was a question about whether BIND included
one, or somehow Unbound prevented the use of one. It's not a big deal
either way, though.