Re: [DNSOP] discussion for draft-woodworth-bulk-rr-00.txt

"Woodworth, John R" <John.Woodworth@CenturyLink.com> Mon, 02 November 2015 05:29 UTC

From: "Woodworth, John R" <John.Woodworth@CenturyLink.com>
To: 'Edward Lewis' <edward.lewis@icann.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 05:28:28 +0000
x-originating-ip: [151.117.206.7]
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>, "Woodworth, John R" <John.Woodworth@CenturyLink.com>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] discussion for draft-woodworth-bulk-rr-00.txt

See inline comments:

Edward, Thank you very much for your time.  I will need to research more in
regard to the experimental track, thank you.  Any more advice you could
offer here would be great.

> The idea of being able to send formulas for generating responses,
> particularly for address records, reverse map and CNAME is a latent need
> in the DNS hosting industry.  These types are special in that way, so it's
> no surprise they are singled out.
>
> I'll admit that I read and scanned portions to get an idea of what is
> discussed.  I do like that you have the section 7.1, addressing DNSSEC.
>
> One "red flag" to me is the idea of hidden wildcards.  One of the design
> principles of DNSSEC is that it exposes the "thinking" process of the
> server to the requestor.  That alone isn't a dead end - hidden records and
> on-the-fly signing would "work" (but as you note not all name server
> implementations have the ability to sign on-the-fly).

Good point.  Our reasoning behind this was to avoid undue discrimination.
Many providers, especially in the context of "anti-spam" make seemingly
arbitrary decisions to block or disable huge batches of addresses based
on coin-toss accuracy.  I've personally seen the simple changing of "dyn"
to "static" in a hostname make all the difference and wanted to entirely
avoid this set of circumstances where possible.  By hiding the fact the
records are part of a pattern (i.e. hiding a "BULK" RR request with the
same owner) the generated records are no longer susceptible to this form
of discrimination.  Since one of our primary motivations was in essence to
provide $GENERATES which could AXFR there is a zero externally-identifiable
change to $GENERATEd records (i.e. no change to operational support).

This, of course, is negated where pre-signed DNSSEC records are used and
supplemental "NPN" records are required.  In this case, hiding the wildcards
would prove moot for this purpose.  However, the NPN record provides a
level of transparency for DNSSEC's "thinking" process while also offering
some additional protection against would-be attackers probing DNS for a
zone's internal organizational structure a la NSEC.

> Cutting to the chase, there are various elements here that could work
> together.  But also combinations that wouldn't work so well.  Simply put,
> this is complicated.  For reasons I'll not include here, complicating the
> protocol isn't leading in the right direction.

Before continuing let me state your opinion is greatly respected and
appreciated and my enthusiasm should not be taken as disrespect toward you
or your comments in any way.

While I wholeheartedly agree this adds a fair amount of complexity to the
authoritative side of the equation, disregarding DNSSEC the burden on the
recursive side is unaffected.  Where DNSSEC is required and on-the-fly is
available, the recursive side is just as unaffected.  Where DNSSEC is
required and on-the-fly is unavailable, we feel this complication is
unavoidable.

When placed into a similar context as DNSSEC and the complexity of
recursively chained cryptographic validation the added complexity supporting
these records would add is relatively trivial.

> I do get the desire for this.  I also would like to see someway to augment
> response synthesis (beyond wildcards).  Perhaps a scaled down version
> would be more manageable (like removing the hidden records and answering
> with the signed formula plus unsigned result - just as for DNAME).

Definitely worth a discussion should we get the opportunity.  I had no
expectation of a first draft making it through the process intact.
Thanks again for your prompt response and invaluable insight.

Best regards,
John