RE: [dnsop] Re: Review of draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required

"Brett Carr" <brettcarr@ripe.net> Mon, 30 January 2006 13:31 UTC

From: Brett Carr <brettcarr@ripe.net>
To: 'Stephane Bortzmeyer' <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>, 'Andrew Sullivan' <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Cc: dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: RE: [dnsop] Re: Review of draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:40:48 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu

I would say in the majority of cases most end users (by this I mean
businesses willing and able to run their own stable dns servers) are able to
get reverse delegation from their network provider.
What are these cases, maybe we can address the problem of what causes this
inability to provide reverse delegation.

> Because, even if you love PTR and you want to add them, you
> depend on persons above (in the DNS reverse tree) you. I
> deeply regret that the draft does not emphasize this problem
> (may be because IETFers are typically working near the
> ".arpa" apex and do not see the problems of the poor guys at
> the bottom of the tree).

Then maybe this problem also needs addressing in a separate draft, but I
don't think that difficulty in obtaining PTR should stop us encouraging the
use of it.

> Therefore, mandating the use of PTR records is a Bad Thing.

Well I would also say that maybe this document is badly titled as it doesn't
seem to mandate the use of PTR so much as encourage it.

Taken from the Introduction:

"This document both encourages the presence of these mappings and
discourages reliance on such mappings for security checks."

> [I can add that getting a ip6.arpa or in-addr.arpa delegation
> from above is more difficult in some parts of the world.
> Mandating PTR records means banning Africa, for instance.]

Well I don't think any of us wants to see moves that would ban users In
Africa from using the internet however I still say encouraging users to use
reverse mappings where they are able to do so (especially in areas of
Internet growth such as Africa) is an important message.

Brett

--
Brett Carr                              RIPE Network Coordination Centre
Systems Engineer -- Operations Group    Amsterdam, Netherlands

.
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html