Re: [DNSOP] [Ext] RCODE and CNAME chain

Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org> Wed, 05 April 2017 14:33 UTC

From: Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org>
To: Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>, Mukund Sivaraman <muks@isc.org>, "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 14:33:14 +0000
user-agent: Microsoft-MacOutlook/f.20.0.170309
x-originating-ip: [192.0.47.234]
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [Ext] RCODE and CNAME chain

Since you mentioned RFC 6604 "xNAME RCODE Clarification", here's a relevant quote from Section 3 ("RCODE Clarification"):

>When an xNAME chain is followed, all but the last query cycle necessarily had no error.  The RCODE in the ultimate DNS response MUST BE set based on the final query cycle leading to that response.  If the xNAME chain was terminated by an error, it will be that error code.  If the xNAME chain terminated without error, it will be zero.

I tried a small set up, zone example with two CNAME sets.  name1 CNAME name.example.com (zone also on the server, with nothing at name.example.com) and name2 CNAME name.example.xx (zone not on the server) and recursion disabled.

dig for name1.example. returns the single CNAME record in the Answer, the AA bit, SOA in Authority, and NXDOMAIN in the RCODE.

dig for name2.example. returns the single CNAME record in the Answer, the AA bit, no SOA, and NOERROR in the RCODE.

The first is a "final" answer - NXDOMAIN looking for the last name in the chain.  There's also an SOA record in the Authority indicating the negative TTL to use.  The latter is a non-final answer (i.e., it's up to the querier to keep asking), a "CNAME referral" - no SOA record and no hints as to where to go because it's outside any domain of the name server (or that it is willing to admit to having).

The two (final and CNAME referral) are rather hard to tell apart, it's possible to determine that is the "last query cycle" as mentioned in the RFC, but it takes a trained eye.  How?  Well, a querier ought to realize that, if it didn't ask for a CNAME set and there's no error (yet), you simply haven't gotten a final answer yet.