[DNSOP] Fwd: Re: *[AD] Fwd: AUTH48 [LB]: RFC 7873 <draft-ietf-dnsop-cookies-10.txt> NOW AVAILABLE

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Tue, 17 May 2016 15:28 UTC

To: "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 08:28:53 -0700
Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: Re: *[AD] Fwd: AUTH48 [LB]: RFC 7873 <draft-ietf-dnsop-cookies-10.txt> NOW AVAILABLE

FYI

draft-ietf-dnsop-cookies

now normatively includes RFC 7120

Thanks
joel

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: *[AD] Fwd: AUTH48 [LB]: RFC 7873
<draft-ietf-dnsop-cookies-10.txt> NOW AVAILABLE
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 08:25:46 -0700
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: Lynne Bartholomew <lbartholomew@amsl.com>
CC: RFC Editor <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>

On 5/16/16 5:00 PM, Lynne Bartholomew wrote:
> Dear Joel,
>
> Forwarding this email directly to you.
>
> Thank you.
>
> RFC Editor/lb
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> *From: *rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org <mailto:rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>
>> *Subject: **[AD] Re: AUTH48 [LB]: RFC 7873
>> <draft-ietf-dnsop-cookies-10.txt> NOW AVAILABLE*
>> *Date: *May 16, 2016 at 3:27:43 PM PDT
>> *To: *d3e3e3@gmail.com <mailto:d3e3e3@gmail.com>, marka@isc.org
>> <mailto:marka@isc.org>
>> *Cc: *rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org <mailto:rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>,
>> dnsop-ads@ietf.org <mailto:dnsop-ads@ietf.org>, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org
>> <mailto:dnsop-chairs@ietf.org>, tjw.ietf@gmail.com
>> <mailto:tjw.ietf@gmail.com>
>>
>> Authors, AD*,
>>
>> *Joel, please reply regarding #1.
>>
>> 1) [AD] Per author feedback earlier in the process, RFC 7120 is now
>> cited in Section 8 and listed it as a Normative Reference.  Please let
>> us know if you approve.
>>
>> Original:
>> IANA has assigned the following DNS error code as an early
>> allocation:
>>
>> Changed to:
>> IANA has assigned the following DNS error code as an early allocation
>> per [RFC7120]:
>> [RFC7120]  Cotton, M., "Early IANA Allocation of Standards Track Code
>>            Points", BCP 100, RFC 7120, DOI 10.17487/RFC7120,
>>            January 2014,
>>            <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7120>.

this is fine I approve, I am informing the working group.

>> 2) We changed instances of "HMAC-SHA256" to "HMAC-SHA-256" (and
>> "HMAC-SHA1" to "HMAC-SHA-1") to match [RFC6234], which is cited.
>> However, the document also uses "HMAC-SHA256-64", which matches the
>> IANA-registered description from RFC 6696. Please review whether the
>> current text -- with this apparent inconsistency (hyphen vs. no hyphen
>> after "SHA") -- is correct.

So I'm hardly and informed reference on these things however; SHA-1 is a
proper name whereas SHA256/SHA-256 is a concatentation of (SHA + (the
number of key bits)) .

rfc 4291 seperates them with dashes.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4231

6696s convention is

         This field indicates the integrity algorithm used
         for ERP.  Key lengths and output lengths are either indicated
         or are obvious from the cryptosuite name.

	e.g.

	HMAC-SHA256-64

that's fine since it's now written in stone but it's not necessary to
indicate the output length  most of the time...

If you're using the iana description then by all means proceed.

>> 3) Please let us know if any changes are needed for the following
>> items, which are about terminology across the Cluster 284 of
>> documents, which includes these documents in addition to RFC-to-be 7873.
>>
>>  RFC 7828 (draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive)
>>  draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls (RFC-to-be 7858) in AUTH48-DONE
>>  draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-chain-query in EDIT*R
>>  draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey in EDIT*R
>>
>> a) The following terms were used inconsistently in this cluster of
>> documents. We have updated the document to use the forms on the right.
>> Please let us know any objections.
>>
>> Resolver / resolver*
>> Recursive Resolver / recursive resolver*

no objection

>> * Per more common usage in recently published RFCs
>>
>> b) The following terms are used inconsistently in this cluster of
>> documents.  Please let us know which form is preferred.
>>
>> answer section / Answer Section**
>> querying / QUERYing

5.4 QUERYing for a Server Cookie

gives me pain. yes QUERY is the opcode; Querying is what is being done.

Answer Section is probably fine

I assume that probably comes from rfc 1035 (upper case answer) though
that uses it exclusively lower case (10 times)

4.1. Format

All communications inside of the domain protocol are carried in a single
format called a message.  The top level format of message is divided
into 5 sections (some of which are empty in certain cases) shown below:

    |        Header      			|