[dnsop] draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-07.txt and service names vs SRV records

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Fri, 11 June 2004 16:04 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:25:31 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu
cc: smb@research.att.com, david.kessens@nokia.com
Subject: [dnsop] draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-07.txt and service names vs SRV records
Sender: owner-dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu

Hi,

During the IESG evaluation of this document, there was one comment
(there are probably more to come yet) from Steve Bellovin which I
think deserves to be discussed in the WG:

Steve said:
======
4.1 advocates service names in the DNS.  Is this our official
position, as opposed to SRV records?  I thought we wanted to
discourage such things.  If SRV records are meant, this should be
clarified.  (This is similar to one of my comments on
draft-ietf-v6ops-application-transition, and should be resolved in the
same way.)
======

(See at the bottom for what section 4.1 says.)

How do you feel about this?

My perception of the DNS *operational* situation is that:

 - yes, SRV records could be used, to the same outcome as described in
section 4.1,
 - no, SRV records are not being used for these purposes for whatever
reasons (I don't know of those, but I guess they haven't reached 100%
penetration etc. so you can't only rely on them)
 - yes, most people do use service names instead of node names
instead, so that's an established operational practice.

So, my own reaction to this comment is that we should just add a
paragraph to describe that the same outcome is possible with SRV
records but that might not always be a feasible option, and that the
section deals with non-SRV situation.

But I'm interested in hearing what the others think about this, i.e.,
whether my perception about the DNS ops issue is right or wrong.

The document says:
=====
4.1  Use of Service Names instead of Node Names

   When a node includes multiple services, one should keep them
   logically separate in the DNS.  This can be done by the use of
   service names instead of node names (or, "hostnames").  This
   operational technique is not specific to IPv6, but required to
   understand the considerations described in Section 4.2 and Section
   4.3.

   For example, assume a node named "pobox.example.com" provides both
   SMTP and IMAP service.  Instead of configuring the MX records to
   point at "pobox.example.com", and configuring the mail clients to
   look up the mail via IMAP from "pobox.example.com", one should use
   e.g.  "smtp.example.com" for SMTP (for both message submission and
   mail relaying between SMTP servers) and "imap.example.com" for IMAP.
   Note that in the specific case of SMTP relaying, the server itself
   must typically also be configured to know all its names to ensure
   loops do not occur.  DNS can provide a layer of indirection between
   service names and where the service actually is, and using which
   addresses.  (Obviously, when wanting to reach a specific node, one
   should use the hostname rather than a service name.)

   This is a good practice with IPv4 as well, because it provides more
   flexibility and enables easier migration of services from one host to
   another.  A specific reason why this is relevant for IPv6 is that the
   different services may have a different level of IPv6 support -- that
   is, one node providing multiple services might want to enable just
   one service to be IPv6-visible while keeping some others as
   IPv4-only.  Using service names enables more flexibility with
   different IP versions as well.
====

.
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html