Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-roadblock-avoidance-02.txt

"Rose, Scott W." <scott.rose@nist.gov> Fri, 10 July 2015 18:00 UTC

From: "Rose, Scott W." <scott.rose@nist.gov>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 13:59:57 -0400
To: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-roadblock-avoidance-02.txt

In general I support this document, with some minor comments below:

Abstract:
s/approache/approach

Section 1.1
2nd paragraph:
s/recomendations/recommendations

"it" is repeated twice in the sentence starting: "While these recomendations
   are mainly aimed at Host Validators it it..."

s/Validatating/Validating

Last paragraph:
s/directy/directly

"...can not talk directy to a Resolver
   the tests below do not address how to overcome that."

missing a semicolon?  Or "...Resolver. The tests below..." Don't know for sure but sounds strange the way it is currently.

Also, the paragraph talks about users, but maybe applications may be more appropriate since the end user may not be aware of or care about proxies.  The meaning is clear though so I can live with the current wording.

Section 1.2.
2nd paragraph:
	s/digiest/digest

Section 3
Title:
	s/Compilance/Compliance

2nd paragraph
	s/assumtption/assumption

3rd paragraph:
	not a huge fan of the salty language since the goal should be to fix broken middleboxes and not just call them crap and move on.  Also, might want to mention that middleboxes can also cause strange behavior with some authoritative servers but that this should not necessary change the rank/use of a recursive resolver.  In other words, just because some queries start returning bad or strange results, that should not be used to change the rank/preference of the recursive resolver unless it happens with multiple queries.

Section 3.1.5
While the test for the AD bit gives the host information about the validating status of the upstream resolver, it really doesn't give full information about what trust anchors are in use.  This might become an issue with split DNS, which isn't mentioned.  I know the authors don't want to get stuck in that quagmire, but it exists and will need to be acknowledged (since it can't be solved).

Scott

On Jul 1, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com> wrote:

>> On Jul 1, 2015, at 9:31 AM, Tim Wicinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks Olafur.  The Workign Group should discuss this as it was originally planned to go into a Working Group Last Call.  It can still be taken in this direction.
>>
>> tim
>>

> Tim
> We request a WGLC on the document
>
> 	Olafur
>
>> On 7/1/15 8:52 AM, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:
>>> This version is a final version from the editors.
>>> We explicitly punt on explaining how to overcome the situation when a ´proxy/forwarder’ “randomly” sends queries to
>>> Resolvers with different capabilities.
>>>
>>> Olafur

Scott Rose
NIST