Re: [dnsop] WGLC for draft-huston-6to4-reverse-dns-04.txt

Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net> Tue, 21 March 2006 22:41 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:52:28 +1100
To: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
From: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>
Subject: Re: [dnsop] WGLC for draft-huston-6to4-reverse-dns-04.txt
Cc: IETF DNSOP WG <dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu>
Sender: owner-dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu

At 09:52 AM 10/03/2006, Mark Andrews wrote:

>         While I am happy enough for draft-huston-6to4-reverse-dns-04.txt
>         to proceed it should be pointed out that this is a suboptimal
>         solution to the problem.
>
>         1. It requires rapid establishment of a the child zone on
>         multiple servers.  There currently is no standardised method
>         for doing this.
>
>         2. It does not use DNS itself as the update mechanism.
>
>         A all DNS solution would be to use a DNAME record rather
>         an NS RRSet to perform the delegation funtion in the method
>         described in RFC 2874.  This remove the need for rapid
>         establishment of the child zone as it will already exist
>         and be populated.
>
>         A similar level of authentication could be applied to the
>         acceptance criteria for UPDATE requests to add DNAMEs.
>         i.e. TCP + source address within the delegated block.
>
>         This method was presented to the author several years ago
>         but was not listed in the alterative rejected.  It would
>         be interesting to know why it was not listed as a alternative
>         and as to why it was rejected.
>
>         I do believe that DNAME will be a great aid to renumbering
>         in the future despite the flawed logic in RFC 3364 stating
>         otherwise.

This comment reflects the manner of implementation of the
population of the zone as distinct from the described method of
how instructions of a zone delegation are accepted.

I don't believe that DNAMEs are ruled out of scope here, but
it would be good to see how our common understanding of
RFC 3364 evolves, and in particular it will be interesting to
learn whether the assertion that this RFC represents
"flawed logic" becomes part of the conventional wisdom
about the DNS in the future.

regards,

    Geoff

.