[dnsop] Issues with draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configuration-04.txt

Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> Wed, 13 October 2004 10:53 UTC

Cc: dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
Subject: [dnsop] Issues with draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configuration-04.txt
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:45:15 +0200
To: iesg@ietf.org
Sender: owner-dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu

Dear IESG,

As the dnsop wg chairs have decided against another iteration on
draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configuration-04.txt, I'm taking them up on
their suggestion to send any remaining gripes directly to the IESG
(with a cc to the wg list).

This message is mostly the same as one I posted to the wg list
yesterday. See that one for an additional list of smaller nits.

First a side issue.

Under the ND approach there are remarks about multicast difficulties in
wireless environments. There is some additional talk about multicast in
wireless environments in an appendix, but this discussion doesn't
capture the real-world complexities that exist here (and that DHCP also
uses multicast but the issue is very different there). The pertinent
information has been discussed on the list so including it shouldn't be
too hard, or maybe a spin-off informational RFC would be appropriate.
Also note that there isn't much of a real-world issue: ARP in IPv4 also
works, while it suffers from the same broadcast/multicast problems as
IPv6 neighbor discovery.

More to the point, two very important issues are missing.

The first is that we are living in 2004. If this were 2001, we could
simply identify the best approach and standardize it. However, IPv6 is
already widely implemented in hosts and deployment is growing. The lack
of a recursive resolver configuration mechanism is felt every day. If
we select an approach that needs considerable implementation effort, it
can be as much as two years before this approach is actually available
to users. The worst choice in this regard would be the RA approach.
While in itself this is a very good approach, it suffers from the fact
that both routers and hosts must support it before it can be used.
Implementation cycles vary widely throughout the industry, but it's
safe to say that anyone who doesn't use both routers AND hosts with the
shortest implementation cycle will have to wait at least until 2006
before an RA approach could conceivably be available.

The DHCP approach has the advantage that it can be implemented on
special purpose servers rather than having to be implemented in
routers. Some systems use a very simple mechanism to configure
recursive resolver addresses, and on those systems it's very easy to
add a userland DHCP client daemon that handles this task. However, on
widely used systems such as Windows and MacOS X reconfiguring recursive
resolvers isn't something that can be easily done by a userland
program. Realistically, users will have to wait until Microsoft or
Apple bundle support for DHCPv6 in their products. Again, this is
likely to take a significant amount of time.

The well-known address approach on the other hand, can be deployed
pretty much immediately. The only thing that's needed is for IANA to
register a set of addresses and within weeks these addresses would be
usable by any IPv6 implementation that supports DNS queries over IPv6
transport.

The second issue is security.

One thing that bothers me about a DHCP-only approach is that it
requires networks that have otherwise no interest in DHCPv6 to run
DHCPv6 servers and clients. Past experience shows that complex
UDP-based protocols are often implemented insecurely. So an approach
that doesn't require additional protocols would be preferable from a
security standpoint. (And from management and debugging standpoints as
well.)

Both DHCPv6 and RA have an inherent security problem because the host
is supposed to trust information that comes in from unknown sources.
This makes it very easy for an on-link attacker to present itself as a
legitimate DHCP server or router and provide clandestine configuration
information. I believe efforts are underway to remedy this situation,
but again, it will be some time before most clients will be able to use
these new mechanisms in practice. In the mean time having recursive
resolver information be available over insecure DHCP or RA means that
attackers gain an additional attack vector. (And heavy crypto doesn't
exactly go hand in hand with autoconfiguration, it remains to be seen
how well this is going to work in practice for nomadic users.)

Last but not least, not about the draft but about the decision that
needs to be made: it worries me that this issue hasn't been resolved
earlier. I believe one of the main reasons for this is that the DHCP
proponents are blocking consensus on the other approaches in order to
arrive at the situation where everyone implements DHCP and the issue
becomes moot. Note that there are several IPR claims on parts of DHCP
that may or may not apply here, adding insult to injury for those who
don't want to run DHCP in the first place.

The only way to overcome this abuse of the IETF process is for the IESG
to recognize the lack of consensus and decide on the issue itself.

Iljitsch van Beijnum

.
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html