Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-v6-name-space-fragmentation-00.txt

Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se> Thu, 24 January 2002 16:10 UTC

To: dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-v6-name-space-fragmentation-00.txt
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:55:17 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se

This is exactly the draft I presented in SLC, it has only been renamed
to reflect its adoption as a working group document.

However, it was unclear (to me at least) what direction this document
really should take. I see at least two possibilities:

1. Make this document the base paper for the general discussion on the
   fragmentation problem (while leaving the particulars of various
   architectural alternatives to other documents).

2. Focus only on the particular subissue of possible validation of
   delegations (i.e. one position on the scale from "do nothing" to
   "provide full bridging of DNS lookups in both directions").

I think that (1) is needed, but it could well be that it is better to
keep that discussion in draft-ietf-ngtrans-dns-ops-req-03.txt where
Alain and I started with it.

The key is that it would be good to find a structure that also in an
obvious way can fit at least one or two additional papers on possible
solutions that I see coming without everyone getting even more
confused over an unsorted but hairy tangle of interconnected documents.

All input appreciated,

Johan

-------