Re: [DNSOP] [homenet] My assessment of .homenet as described during the WG session yesterday.

Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com> Thu, 30 March 2017 18:11 UTC

From: Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:11:00 -0400
Cc: "Stephen D. Crocker" <steve@shinkuro.com>, "dnsop@ietf.org WG" <dnsop@ietf.org>, Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dickson@gmail.com>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>, HOMENET <homenet@ietf.org>, Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [homenet] My assessment of .homenet as described during the WG session yesterday.

On the other hand, might there be value in seeing how much errant traffic goes to the root so it can be reported and used to inform vendors, network architects, network administrators, et al?

Given the amount of bogus traffic already goes to the root, I’m not immediately worried this will increase the traffic level to a point of concern.

And I remain puzzled as to why a simple NXDOMAIN response from the root isn’t exactly the right thing and why it matters whether it’s signed or not.

Steve