Re: [DNSOP] DNS privacy and Team Cymru's report on 300, 000 SOHO routers with compromised DNS settings

"Hosnieh Rafiee" <ietf@rozanak.com> Thu, 06 March 2014 23:35 UTC

From: Hosnieh Rafiee <ietf@rozanak.com>
To: 'Dan York' <york@isoc.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:34:52 +0100
Cc: DNSOP@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] DNS privacy and Team Cymru's report on 300, 000 SOHO routers with compromised DNS settings

Dan,

I guess you have to separate the problem of compromising device with the
case where we are looking for only confidentiality or privacy. IMHO, this is
somewhat out of scope.

However, we cannot ignore it. In this special case, just the admin of that
recursive resolver needs to react to that attack and without that nobody can
understand what's going on there but the important thing is how to
re-establish the trust with all the other recursive resolvers that already
used that node.  I think this is important because it might not be clear how
many nodes already used this resolver but for the first case you can do
nothing except waiting for immediate action of rescue team.

Hosnieh