Re: [DNSOP] What can be done with the DNS and what should be done elsewhere [draft-klensin-dns-function-considerations]

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 06 June 2017 21:05 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 17:05:05 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] What can be done with the DNS and what should be done elsewhere [draft-klensin-dns-function-considerations]

Stephane,

Thanks for reading the draft and for your comments.  I will
study them and see what I can do and will get back to you if I
have questions.  One general observation: I've tried, when
mentioning possible alternate approaches, to provide a partial
existence proof that alternatives are possible that could do the
job or improve things, not to propose solutions or to be
comprehensive able possibilities.  Fro example, the blockchain
example was mentioned because it is one way -- a way that has
gotten a lot of attention lately -- to have an authoritative
structured name system without having a hierarchical system and
centrally-managed root.   I didn't mean to suggest that it was
the only such option (it isn't) or the best one (I suspect it is
not).

As to whether DNSOP wants to get involved, while there are
operational issues in the summary I'm trying to make, I see most
of them as being consequences of protocol choices that were
either poor to start with (like the underspecification of
CLASS), poor (more historically than at present)
implementations, or that just have not held up (i.e., failed
30-odd years ago to adequately predict the present).   So, while
I'm sure there are people on the DNSOP list who are, or should
be, very interested in the question of whether we are pushing
the DNS past its practical limits, I don't see that as
specifically an operational problem.  Instead, I see it as an
issue that affects much of the IETF.   That is especially true
if, as one person who commented believes, a transition to a
DNSng could be more difficult and take longer than the IPv4->
IPv6 transition.   In addition, while I would welcome help or
even a contributor or co-author or two, I think there are a
number of reasons why the contents of this I-D are more
appropriately an Independent Submission than any sort of IETF
stream document (even an Informational one) that would require a
consensus determination.

best,
   john

--On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 22:04 +0200 Stephane Bortzmeyer